The United Methodist Church typically measures time in 4-year segments called quadrenniums. The current quadrennium draws to a close in December 2024, and a new one launches on January 1, 2025. In preparation for the transition from one quadrennium to the next, the Conference Nominating Committee will bring nominations for many of our leadership positions and teams to the June 2024 Annual Conference.
The beginning of a quadrennium is always an occasion to reset committees, strategies, and direction. Due to all that has happened in recent years regarding COVID-19 and disaffiliations, the beginning of the 2025-28 quadrennium will also be an opportunity for us to reset our commitment to the power of the connection.
I have been envisioning tangible ways of doing this. For instance,
- What if in addition to serving in their church or extension ministry context, every clergyperson is involved in a district or conference leadership role?
- What if at least one lay person in every church serves in a district or conference related role?
- What if each conference and ministry team is active and effective in making disciples of Jesus Christ for the transformation of the world?
- What if through ministry in the districts, conference, and around the world, the Holston Conference becomes known for not only talking about but showing how we are stronger together?
I invite you to assist the Nominating Committee in doing our best work of connecting clergy and laity to district and conference ministries by:
- Joining us in praying for God’s guidance in our nominations process;
- Visiting holston.org/nominations to learn more about our ministries;
- Considering completing a self-nominating form;
- Encouraging others to complete a self-nominating form;
- Sharing additional ideas with the Nominating Committee by clicking here.
Those who self-nominate can indicate specific areas of interest and will be considered for any Conference teams for which they are eligible. Note that self-nominations are kept on file for up to 4 years, so people who self-nominated for regular vacancies in 2023 and 2024 will be considered for the 2025-2028 quadrennium as well. Self-nominations are accepted on an ongoing basis but are requested by November 1, 2023 for the next quadrennium.
The 2025-28 quadrennium will be an opportunity for us to reset our commitment to the power of the connection. Will you participate in our reset by praying, self-nominating, encouraging others to self-nominate and/or sharing additional ideas with the Nominating Committee?
As always, it is a joy to serve as your bishop.
Holston and North Alabama Conferences